Thursday, December 27, 2007

Frustration

Sometimes I hate my life.

Not because I'm my dad won't increase my allowance.

Not because my mom won't let me go out.

Not because 'everyone hates me' and I'm constantly taunted by stinky 'popular' people. Frankly, I couldn't care less about them.

But because my very existence is injuring the planet.

My life basically revolve around energy-consuming electrical items, pollutant-emitting vehicles, forest-depleting paper, and life-sustaining water that I use to wash tiny marks on my finger.

Even as I type this, I can't help feeling guilty.

Sometimes I wonder: Are humans needed on this Earth?

Would the Earth be better off without us?

There's a saying that goes: Among all the species on this planet, we are the only species with the power to protect them all.

And yet we are abusing that power for our own greed and demands.

Are we really that important that no other life matters? That we have the right to invade habitats that belong to other species for our own purposes.

It was on the news a few days ago, that a Siberian tiger escaped from its enclosure in a zoo and attacked three people, killing one of them. The tiger was shot dead while attacking it's third victim. I am personally enraged. What gives us the right to kill the animal? It was, after all, doing what thousand-year old instincts thought it to do.
If aliens from Andromeda were to kidnap me from Earth, bring me back to Andromeda, cage me up and allow other aliens to watch, stare and taunt me in my cage, I'd be pissed too. Can I be blamed if, when I have the chance, I escaped from my enclosure and started attacking aliens that threaten my chance of escaping from this darned place? I didn't ask to be taken from my home. I didn't ask to be caged up. I didn't ask to be in this stupid zoo that is no way similar to my home however much these guys try to make it similar so that visitors can see me 'in my natural environment'?
And this doesn't happen in zoos only. Hundreds of wild animals are killed each year for attacking people that venture into the wild. They aren't even allowed to act like wild animals in their own habitat. It's not their fault. What makes us so important that it gives us the right to kill an animal that acted purely out of instinct?
It already bad enough that the animals are being driven back as we happily deforest their habitat, but now they aren't even allowed to do what thousands of years of evolution molded them to do.
We, after all, ventured into THEIR territory, not the other way around.

This gets me on my nerves many, many times. I could go on, but i'll save you the agony of reading and log off.

Bye.

No comments: