Thursday, January 3, 2008

Driving and teachers

Had my first driving lesson today. The guy drove me to some empty lot and taught me to drive round. It was harder than I expected. The driving wasn't so bad, but it was the clutch/oil pedal thing that I had trouble with. I killed the poor car's engine like...5 times. T.T Scared the poor instructor like mad. Haha. That guy another thing, when I was circling the lot, he was busy sorting out his bills and paperwork and not really paying attention to my driving. What the heck? He only looked up once a while.

Then later my dad took me to the bookshop to buy EST textbook to replace the SPBT one I lost last year. Then he drove me to school to return it, and then I had to look for the teacher. Had to ask around a few times before I found her in one of the labs, handing out the free textbooks to the Form 3s. After all that effort, one would expect a little appreciation and gratitute for returning, but instead, I got shouted at in front of the students. Something about not having the time to 'layan' me and have to sign this sign that. It took me all I had not to shout back at her. HELLO~? I had to go all the way to the bookshop, then pay for the book, then go all the way to school to return it, then search for her all over the place, and THIS IS THE KIND OF TREATMENT I GET?? If I wanted to I could've just 'forgotten' about it and leave her to deal with it. But I didn't, because I thought that it wasn't right to do it, because well, it was my responsibility since I lost it. But what did I get in return?? A scolding for not returning on time. SHE was the one that said I can return it when school starts. It not my fault when I arrive at the time when she's busy. After all, I didn't anticipate any of that. Instead of being appreciated for my efforts, I get a scolded for coming to her at a bad time. How was I to know? I admit that I'm wrong for losing the book, but I already took responsibility of that by replacing one. She wasn't scolding me for losing the book anyway, but for coming to her at a time where she was busy. Then when I tried to explain that she told me before that I could return it when school reopens, she then said I was trying to put the blame on her. WTH? Seriously, people like that won't listen to a thing you have to say, no matter how innocent you are. It took me all I had to hold back my anger. And imagine, in front of the Form 3s? So much for being a 'contoh' to the juniors, huh? But I hope that that would be a lesson to them not to poke a dragon in the eye, even though the poke is to warn the dragon that its tail is on fire.

Sheesh, which goes to show, honesty is NOT always the best policy. And this happens just when I'm starting to miss her and attending her classes.

Couldn't she just tell me NICELY that she was busy, then tell me when I can come back to return the book? Or give me another alternative that suits the both of us? Or tell me what I can do to make the job easier? Apparently I need to sign something, can't she tell me what I'm supposed to do to complete the process?

This reminds me of someone that I met in the bookshop when I was buying the book, who is a total opposite. A lady came in and told me that she was selling some stuff for charity, and whether I wanted to buy anything. She told me that politely, and had a nice smile on her face. Even though I politely refused, she still had a big smile on her face and bowed her head slightly, I could see it in her eyes that she was sincere. Then she later asked a woman, who just waved her hand and walked off, but the lady still smiled politely and thanked her. It made me feel slightly sorry that I couldn't buy any of her stuff. It's people like that that makes me smile, knowing that the world still has politeness among those 'I-am-busy-don't-bother-me' people. And to think that she was doing this for charity, she wasn't going to get any profit from it, makes me marvel at her patience and kindness.

For the new year, I strive to be as patient and kind as she is. Thank you, lady, for setting a good example.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Why not buy textbooks from online bookstore? I get 2 textbooks from a online bookstore and save me more than $200. All the textbooks are BRAND NEW. That's great. You may visit the web to see any help.

http://www.cocomartini.com/